South Yorkshire firefighters are bracing themselves for a sharp
rise in cooking fires, as new figures reveal a shock increase in
blazes during the last big international football tournament.
Kitchen fires went up by nearly a quarter during the last world
cup, with 39 kitchen fires in just one month whilst the competition
was being played in South Africa two years ago.
So firefighters are urging the public not to mix cooking with
alcohol and never to leave cooking unattended, on the day Euro 2012
kicks off in Poland and Ukraine.
The county's firefighters tackled more than 300 cooking related
house fires last year alone, resulting in 75 injuries.
During the Diamond Jubilee weekend firefighters went to seven
more kitchen fires, mostly caused by cooking being left on the
East Area Manager Steve Makepeace, said: "Expectations for the
England football team might be low this summer, but sadly we fully
expect to see another rise is kitchen fires as millions settle down
to watch the tournament and probably have a drink at the same
"Alcohol and cooking just don't mix. It makes you uncoordinated
and more likely to have a fire, and less likely to escape if you do
"So if you've been to the pub to watch the match, grab a
takeaway on the way home instead. And if you just can't tear your
eyes from penalty shoot out, turn the cooker off and take the pan
off the hob."
The fire service 'Kitchen Nightmares' campaign aims reduce
cooking related fires, which account for half of all the house
fires in South Yorkshire.
To back the drive, the public are being asked to:
- Prepare- Keep electrical leads and fabrics well away from
the hob and never use a chip pan
- Watch-Keep an eye on cooking at all times and never, ever leave
- Switch-Switch off cooking appliances when you have finished
cooking and before bed
For more information on the campaign, visit www.syfire.gov.uk